FAQs and Policies
Williamsburg Live occurs on June 16-18, 2023 on The Lawn of the Art Museums of Colonial Williamsburg.
Guests are encouraged to bring a blanket or a lawn chair, and park at the Colonial Williamsburg Visitor Center (look for Williamsburg Live directional signs upon arrival) and take Colonial Williamsburg’s buses to the Historic Area.Box Office and Main Entrance
The Main Entrance and Box Office to Williamsburg Live is located at the corner of S. Nassau St. and Francis St.
Cash and credit card will be accepted for all purchases.
- Accessible Entrance: An accessible sidewalk ramp is located at the Entry Tent at the corner of S. Nassau St. and Francis St. There is a paved path from the Accessible Entrance on N. Henry St. to the performance tent only. The Box Office/Will Call is accessible for purchasing tickets and picking up Will Call tickets.
- Terrain: The Williamsburg Live site is a grass lawn area and can be bumpy. It can be a challenge to get around this site using a wheelchair or walker.
- Accessible Pathways/Seating for the Performance Tent. The ground inside the Performance Tent is all grass and can be bumpy in places.
- Staff will be available to assist with reserved seating in the performance tent.
- Accessible seating is only designated in the Performance Tent and is subject to availability. All patrons including companions, caregivers and assistants must present a ticket for entry.
First Aid Tent
The First Aid Tent is located to the Right as you face the main stage.
Age Verified Wristbands are required for the purchase and consumption of alcoholic beverages, and received upon entry with a valid ID for attendees 21 years or older.
Cameras – Photography, Video.
Small, non-professional personal cameras are allowed at Williamsburg Live. Flash photography, videography and removable-lens cameras, drones and Go-Pro type cameras are NOT PERMITTED WITHOUT PRIOR APPROVAL. This policy is subject to change based on the artist. Cameras must fit in pocket or small clutch bag. Only licensed drone pilots contracted by Williamsburg Live will be permitted.
Child Policy - No one under the age of 13 is admitted without a parent or guardian.
Tent Seating: Children any age must have a ticket. No babies in arms inside the tent.
All children must have a ticket to enter venue.
Designated Smoking Area
Williamsburg Live, located on the Lawn of the Art Museums of Colonial Williamsburg, is an open air assembly venue, so there is no prohibited area for smoking. However, if you or someone else smoking is hindering yours or other guests' enjoyment of the event, staff may ask you to extinguish the cigarette/cigar, or move to the designated smoking area. All smoking in any tent is prohibited, including the use of e-cigarettes. For the convenience and comfort of all patrons, a designated smoking area is provided; follow the signs on site.
Performances will be presented rain or shine, but in the case of severe storms it is possible that the concert will be delayed. Any delay or postponement will be made by the artist and venue management and all announcements regarding weather delay will be made from the stage and via Virginia Arts Festival website (vafest.org) and social media platforms. Only in a rare event will a concert be cancelled.
Prior to the concert, check the Virginia Arts Festival Facebook page or Twitter page for any updates. During the concert, any weather-related messages would be conveyed onsite via loudspeakers and online via social media.
Due to the lack of structural shelters at Williamsburg Live, if and when it has been determined the venue must be evacuated, patrons must exit the grounds and seek safe shelter until notified by the Virginia Arts Festival staff, website, or social media.
Seating on the lawn is always first-come, first-serve in marked designated areas.
Blankets are allowed on the lawn for seating. Space on the lawn may be limited, so we ask that all blankets be folded directly under your occupied area only. Please be courteous of other patrons near you and do not take up more space than is needed. Space on lawn will be limited on certain events. All chairs are inspected upon entry. Strollers for children are allowed.
Chairs that meet the following criteria are permitted on the lawn area:
- Structure does not matter
- Chair leg height not to exceed 17”
- Lounge or chaise style chairs not permitted
- No built-in shade covers or umbrellas on chairs permitted to be raised
Some examples of permitted chairs:
Lost and Found
If you lose an item while you are at Williamsburg Live, you can visit our Lost and Found located at the Merchandise Tent. Look for the Lost & Found Sign on the Tent. To inquire about lost items, you may also call our offices after the event at 757-282-2800 to see if we have your item. Any items not retrieved will be held for 45 days after event and any unclaimed items will be donated or discarded.
Outside Food or Beverage
Glass, coolers, picnic baskets, and outside food and beverages are prohibited. Food and beverage vendors will be on site. Bottled water will be available for purchase, but patrons may bring in one factory sealed water bottle per person. Empty, non-glass drinkware and water bottles are allowed. Please note, there is no potable water on the site for refilling water bottles.
Security and Screening
For the safety of guests, patrons and their possessions are subject to search as a condition of admittance.
Upon entering the venue, all patrons will be subject to the same security screening process which includes hand wands. In addition, all bags, purses, blankets, and personal items are subject for inspection.
Ticketholders should be aware that there are no provisions for returning banned items left at the venue entrances. We encourage you to leave all banned items at home or in your vehicle before entering the venue. Virginia Arts Festival reserves the right to refuse admission to any person not in compliance with all policies or the explicit direction of venue staff. If you have a medical reason for not wanting to be searched via hand-wanding, please notify Public Safety staff upon arrival at the gate and they will provide an alternative.
The carrying of weapons and/or firearms is prohibited at Williamsburg Live, even if you have a license. Weapons of any kind, including, but not limited to; guns, knives, explosives, brass knuckles, tasers, mace or pepper spray; including toys or play items made to resemble weapons are prohibited.
Other Prohibited Items
The following list identifies some prohibited items. However, Virginia Arts Festival staff has the right to refuse any personal property that is a potential hazard to others and any other item deemed inappropriate or dangerous
- Flammable lanterns, candles, fireworks or any types of explosives or fire of any kind
- Glass, coolers, picnic baskets or outside food or beverages, except for one factory sealed water bottle per person. *Empty non-glass drinkware allowed.
- Illegal drugs (of any kind)
- Hula hoops, frisbees, balls
- Inflatables (beach balls, balloons, chairs, sofas, etc.)
- Laser pens or pointers
- Musical instruments, noise-making devices
- Pets, except service animals
- Selfie sticks pointed at the stage or artists
- Signs and/or posters
- Skateboards, scooters, hoverboards, bikes, skates, or any wheeled devices other than ADA compliant modes
- Umbrellas over 12” in length (closed)
- Small umbrellas for inclement weather only are permitted however are not allowed to be used for shade as it interferes with enjoyment of others.
- Weapons, including toys or play items made to resemble weapons
- All bags and other containers are subject to 100% search.
- All entrants are subject to security screening procedures.
- No glass, coolers, picnic baskets or outside food or beverages are allowed. One factory sealed water bottle allowed per person. *Empty, non-glass drinkware and water bottles are allowed. *No potable water onsite for refillable bottles.
- Reserved Tent Seating: Blankets and cushions are allowed.
- No littering.
- Smoking permitted only in the restroom areas located on S. Nassau St. and S. Henry St. No smoking in any tents.
- Must be at least 21 years of age with a valid photo ID to purchase and/or consume alcoholic beverages.
- Re-entry only at designated entrances.
- Inappropriate behavior is grounds for removal.
Williamsburg Live will take place June 21-23, 2024, rain or shine. Policies subject to change.