A Sister's Getaway
WEEKEND 3: A SISTERS GETAWAY
Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre
Chrysler Hall, Norfolk
To Enhance Your Experience:
- Enjoy your performance at the Attucks Theatre, known in its heyday as the “Apollo Theatre of the South”. The Attucks Theatre is distinguished as the oldest remaining legitimate theatre in the United States that was completely financed, designed, constructed and operated by African Americans. It was named in honor of African-American Crispus Attucks, the first American patriot to lose his life in the 1770 Boston Massacre.
- Surround yourself with the beauty of the Norfolk Botanical Garden. Take a guided tour of the 155-acres of gardens on foot, tram, or boat. While at the gardens, be sure to explore the WPA Memorial Garden, this beautiful garden was built under the Works Progress Administration (WPA) by 200 African American women and 20 African American men. The memorial serves to honor and remember the legacy of splendor the 220 WPA workers created to be enjoyed by generations to come.
- See up-close demonstrations of glass blowing at the Perry Glass Studio, part of the world-renowned Chrysler Museum of Art. The museum offers stunning collections of art including one of the world’s largest collections of art glass
- Find taste treats at Café Stella Roasters a European Style café and coffee roaster located in the quaint and historic neighborhood of Ghent.
- Find some time for downtown shopping at MacArthur Mall, a few favorite shops are Brighton Collectibles, Chico’s, Dillard’s, Nordstrom, Michael Kors, and there are so many more. Shopmacarthur.com
- Set sail on the Spirit of Norfolk’s Gospel Dinner Cruise. See the Atlantic Fleet like never before: Have lunch, brunch or dinner on the water. For one price, get new buffet menus, great service and waterfront views..
- Make it a getaway! Enjoy the entire experience…spend the night! Checkout these Festival-friendly hotels.