Great American Songbook at the Beach!
May 19, 2019
Sandler Center for the Performing Arts, Virginia Beach
Michael Feinstein has built a dazzling career bringing the music of the Great American songbook to the world. From recordings that have earned him five Grammy Award nominations to his Emmy nominated PBS-TV specials, his acclaimed NPR series and concerts spanning the globe – in addition to his appearances at iconic venues such as The White House, Buckingham Palace, Hollywood Bowl, Carnegie Hall and Sydney Opera House – his work as an educator and archivist define Feinstein as one of the most important musical forces of our time. Hear your favorite songs and the stories behind them in this beguiling show!
TO ENHANCE YOUR EXPERIENCE, EXPLORE THE ARTISTIC SIDE OF VIRGINIA BEACH. HERE ARE SOME SUGGESTIONS FOR YOUR TRIP:
- Take a stroll by the water. The Virginia Beach boardwalk is not only one of our favorite places to enjoy all the beach activities, it is famous in many ways too. The Boardwalk has received national acclaim in recent times as “One of America’s Favorite Boardwalks” by the Discovery Channel, and in magazines such as Coastal Living, Southern Living, and National Geographic Traveler.
- Masterful monuments abound in Virginia Beach, and there’s a great story behind every one of them. Worth visiting while at the Oceanfront are The Norwegian Lady and the Naval Aviation Monument Park (25th Street), King Neptune (31st Street), and the Navy Seal Monument (38th Street).
- Allow some time to explore the art gallery scene in Virginia Beach. A few of the local favorites spots to visit are Beach Gallery, Jones Art Gallery, and The Artists Gallery.
- The Cape Henry Lighthouse, located within Fort Story military base near north end of Virginia Beach, has stood sentinel since 1792. Climb the circular staircase and you’ll be rewarded with spectacular views of the Atlantic Ocean and the Chesapeake Bay.
- Enjoy our oysters! Thanks to local conservation efforts, the nearly extinct Lynnhaven oysters are back on the rise. These bivalves and other great, fresh seafood can be enjoyed at restaurants all around town. For a real immersive experience, take a boat tour with Pleasure House Oysters, where you strap on a pair of waders and enjoy tastings, learn about the history and lore of Virginia oysters, and even harvest your own oysters from the tranquil waters. Doesn’t get fresher than that!
- Art Beyond the Boardwalk – In the ViBe Creative District, local artists and spirits, roasters and restaurants, workouts and wares, museums and more come together just blocks from the Oceanfront. One of our favorite restaurants is located in the VB ViBe district – CROC’S 19th Street Bistro!
- Virginia Beach Oceanfront makes for a soothing getaway. Check out these Festival-friendly hotels.