A Soldier's Play
August 5-16, 2020
Virginia Arts Festival Outdoor Courtyard
Clay and Jay Barr Education Center
440 Bank Street
Norfolk, Virginia 23510
Co-presented with Norfolk State University Theatre Company
From the award-winning, nationally recognized Norfolk State University Theatre Company comes this riveting new production of Charles Fuller’s Pulitzer Prize-winning play, a murder mystery set in a Louisiana Army base that lays bare the raw emotions of racism. The original New York production by the Negro Ensemble Company launched the careers of Denzel Washington and Samuel L Jackson and was followed by a film version (renamed A Soldier’s Story) starring many of the same actors.
Wednesday, August 5-Sunday, August 9, 8PM
Thursday, August 13-Saturday, August 15, 8PM
House opens at 7PM.
Tickets are limited.
Adult content; children under 13 not permitted.
Performance seating will be arranged to accommodate each party allowing for 6’ of physical distance from other parties. Upon arrival, ushers will be available to assist you to your seating location. In order to follow CDC guidelines and keep proper distance between parties, seating will be at the discretion of the Virginia Arts Festival and NSU.
The Virginia Arts Festival Outdoor Courtyard is located directly behind the Clay and Jay Barr Education Center.
440 Bank Street
Norfolk, Virginia 23510
Virginia Arts Festival Courtyard is a well-lit outdoor, non-tented, non-air-conditioned venue.
Unopened non-alcoholic beverages are permitted.
No food, coolers, umbrellas, tables, or chairs are permitted. Chairs will be provided.
No food or beverages will be available for purchase on site.
Portable restrooms will be available.
Some street parking is available. The Bank Street Parking Garage is directly across the street from the performance location, and offers fee-based parking.
Additional affordable parking is available a short walk away at MacArthur Center. Prices vary by date and time:
Monday-Friday Rates: $1 for first 3 hours before 6pm, $2 every hour after that, before 6pm, after 6pm, a flat charge of $2.00, Maximum is $10
Saturday & Sunday Rates: $1 before 6pm, $2 after 6pm, Maximum $3
Run time for A Soldier's Play is approximately 1:40 with no intermission.
|Terrance Livingston||Captain Richard Davenport|
|Trey Clarkson||Captain Taylor|
|Derek Savage||Sergeant Vernon Waters|
|Tau Chatman||Private First Class Melvin Peterson|
|Darius Nelson||Private Wilkie|
|Corey Edward||Private Henson|
|Levonte Herbert||Private C.J. Memphis|
|Ed Palmer||Lieutenant Byrd|
|Solomon Langley||Corporal Cobb|
|Ben Murphy||Captain Wilcox|
|Tajleed Hardy||Private Smalls|
|Craig Lindsay||Corporal Ellis|
A 100 % Contact-free theatre experience will be achieved by the following protocols and procedures:
- All tickets must be purchased in advance through Virginia Arts Festival. All order confirmations must printed in advance by patrons and presented for admission or shown on a mobile device.
- Playbill will be emailed to patrons and will be available for download on our website, but will not be distributed at the performances.
- Performance seating will be arranged to accommodate each party allowing for 6’ of physical distance from other parties. Upon arrival, ushers will be available to assist you to your seating location. In order to follow CDC guidelines and keep proper distance between parties, seating will be at the discretion of the Virginia Arts Festival and NSU.
- A guest flow plan will be used for entry and exit. When arriving, please enter from the parking lot side of the courtyard walkway.
- Visible markers for queue lines that separate people or households by six feet of physical distance will be utilized.
CDC safety protocols will be met by utilizing the following protocols and procedures:
- Prior to all rehearsals and performances, all actors and staff will undergo temperature checks and be screened utilizing the CDC’s Daily Monitoring Log.
- Audience seating will be sanitized before each performance.
- Wearing a mask will be mandatory for patrons. No one will be admitted without wearing one.
- Temperature checks will be mandatory for patrons. No one will be admitted without taking one. No one will be admitted with a temperature of 100° f or greater.
- Six-foot social distancing will be required by all patrons who are not from the same household. This will be reinforced by the use of example markers.
- Signage will be posted at the entrance that states that no one with a fever or symptoms of COVID-19, or known exposure to a COVID-19 case in the prior 14 days, will be permitted.
- Ten feet of physical distance will be maintained between all performers and participants who are not members of the same household.
- Ten feet of physical distance will be maintained between performers and audience members.
- There will be no shared items or props used by performers without them being cleaned and disinfected between all instances of contact.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be available for use at entry.
- Guided, staggered, audience dismissal will be implemented to avoid bottlenecks upon exit.