Vienna Boys Choir
Vienna Boys Choir
DECEMBER 21, 2017 7:30PM
SANDLER CENTER FOR PERFORMING ARTS,
Beloved for its pure, heavenly sound, this internationally revered choir can trace its history as far back as the 13th century, and despite the youth of its singers, represents an art form steeped in tradition and history. Today, boys audition for the choir from around the world; many of them have fathers or even grandfathers who were choir members. The full choir is divided into four equally gifted touring groups, each led by its own conductor and accompanied by tutors. The group who will be presented by the Virginia Arts Festival includes boys from Austria, Cambodia, China, France, Germany, Iceland, Italy, Japan, Korea, New Zealand and the Philippines. They will be led by their spirited Italian choirmaster Manolo Cagnin, who has traveled with the group throughout Europe, North and South America, and Asia. He chooses repertoire to match the boys’ voices and personalities—including, in the case of these December performances, some of the best-loved holiday music ever written.
To Enhance Your Experience:
And to make your Virginia Beach visit even more memorable….
- Lights at the Beach – enjoy the Holiday Lights Merry Mile…a nautical and holiday fantasy of lights spread over a dozen blocks – from 8th Street to 22nd This year’s light show will feature over 50 of our most popular, hand-picked displays along the boardwalk and beach.
- Sandler Center for Performing Arts located at Virginia Beach’s Town Center offers amazing dining options including Bravo Cucina Italiana, McCormick and Schmick’s, or Ruth’s Chris Steak House. Enjoy a glass of wine before the show at Twist or Sonoma Wine Bar! vabeachtowncenter.com.
- Holiday shopping is easy in Virginia Beach where you’ll find Anthropologie, Free People, Bevello, and Monkee's. Shopping at Town Center of Virginia Beach is second to none. No matter what you’re looking for your discover men's and women's fashion, gifts, eyewear, books, music, art and much more. And, be sure to visit the Virginia Beach Christmas Mouse shop, where the holiday spirit is alive all year
- Among the many gems of Virginia Beach is a superb art museum! Take it all in at the Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) virginiamoca.org.
- Historic holidays. Take a tour of the historic, and treasured, Francis Land House which considers plantation life; the roles of the household members, both free and enslaved; Federal style; and ways that the formation of the new nation affected private lives. During the holiday period, Francis Land House is decorated in colorful and stunning Colonial Revival decor.
- Make it a getaway! Build in time to breath in the cool Ocean air at one of three distinct beaches. Check out these Festival-friendly hotels.